Friday, June 19, 2009

ABC Trip June 2009 A-E

ABC Trip to TX

In June of 2009 Tina moved to Cedar Park, TX near Austin. She will be working on a masters degree in Library of Information Science at the University of TX this fall. We helped her move down with the pickup, a Uhaul trailer and our van and one of her girl friends. Her friend as a big help unloading as it was hot and she was in much better shape than the rest of us. Later in June Tina came back to IA and got her car to take back to TX. Dawne went with her to help drive and help her set up the apartment. Dale followed in a few days on the motorcycle to bring Dawne back. That was the start of ABC trip.

There was not real specific time frame for picking up Dawne and returning to IA since I was retired, at least unofficially at that point as I took vacation for a few weeks before officially retiring. Given our flexibility it would work well for a motorcycle trip. To make it a little more interesting I decided to go through a town starting with each letter of the alphabet in alphabetical order on the way down. I began with a town that started with A (Adel IA), then to a B town etc. until I ended with a Z (Zalma, MO). As we will see, this added several miles to the trip.

I was delayed a day getting started, as I wanted to wait until the rain had passed. It was foggy that morning, but I was able to move through the alphabet fairly well until I came to Holbrook IA. That town had a couple of churches and a few houses, but no city signs, city parks or buildings with the city name. The trusty map indicated Homestead was only about a 45 mile detour, so Homestead replaced Holbrook. By the end of the day I was at Rantoul, IL, and made through R in the alphabet. As I had already been to Rushville IL, Rantoul did not really count in the ABC’s but they had a convenient hotel on the way to Thomasboro and Urbana.

Now I will admit IL is not part of even a semi direct route to TX from IA, but do you know how hard it is to find a town that starts with X in the Midwest? At the time I could not find one in IA, NE, KS, MO, OK, AR, or TX. There is a Xenia, IL and that is where I was headed. While the index to my KS map did not have an X town, I did discover after I got to TX from the motorcycle forum I monitor that there is a Xenia in KS. On the way back I did drive by and it is a legit town, so maybe next time I can do the alphabet in one day instead of two.

Even though I got a late start on the second day due to rain again, I was able to complete the alphabet at Zalma, MO and in 1,032 miles. The complete list of towns is at the end and for those skeptics who want proof the pictures from each town will be in various blog listings starting the first 5 pictures at the end of this blog posting (we haven’t figured out how to put more than 5 pictures in one blog post). I was still quite a ways from Cedar Part, TX, so it took me another day to get there. When we drive the interstates it is 930 miles from Earlham, IA to Cedar Park, TX, but this motorcycle trip took 1,807 miles to get there.

The stay it TX was a little longer than expected. Sat. night I was checking the air in the motorcycle tires, as we were planning to start back on Sun. The rear tire had chucks of rubber missing. Fortunately, there was a BMW dealer only about 17 miles away, but they are closed Sun. and Mon. There was a Victory dealer on a mile away and they were open Mon. They were able to get me a new tire and I felt much better only going a mile instead of 17 miles on that old tire.

We started the return trip that afternoon. It was hot. It was over 100 degrees that day and the next. We took many breaks, but the sweat still ran off us even when we were going full speed down the road. It was not such a fun ride in all that heat. We’ll save motorcycle riding in the South for seasons other than summer.


City

State

Mileage

A

Adel

IA

21,298

B

Booneville

IA

21,314

C

Clive

IA

21,323

D

Des Moines

IA

21,339

E

Elkhard

IA

21,356

F

Farrar

IA

21,365

G

Guernsey

IA

21,434

H

Homestead

IA

21,488

I

Iowa City

IA

21,522

J

Joetown

IA

21,551

K

Kalona

IA

21,559

L

Lone Tree

IA

21,577

M

Mount Union

IA

21,621

N

New London

IA

21,631

O

Oquawka

IL

21,666

P

Pontoosuc

IL

21,715

Q

Quincy

IL

21,776

R

Rushville

IL

21,829

S

San Jose

IL

21,889

T

Thomasboro

IL

21,987

U

Urban

IL

21,996

V

Villa Grove

IL

22,016

W

Watson

IL

22,093

X

Xenia

IL

22,124

Y

Yount

MO

22,278

Z

Zalma

MO

22,330


Total Miles


1,032




No comments:

Post a Comment